A common method of sedation used at our practice is that of IV sedation. IV sedation is extremely deep, and the medication is administered straight into the bloodstream with an IV. Patients are conscious and cooperative with the dentist, though they are deeply relaxed. They come out of the sedation with little to no memory of the appointment, making it a wonderful way to reduce fears and anxieties associated with dental care.
It is appropriate for many reasons including:
- High anxiety
- Past traumatic experiences
- Inability to control a gag reflex
- Sensitive teeth
- Extensive dental work
- Having many procedures done at once
- Uncomfortable with sitting for long periods of time
- Nervousness about the sights and sounds associated with dental treatments
Ask your dentist at White Cedar Dental Care in Barrie, Ontario about IV sedation, or other dental sedation options, for your dental procedure.